Here are a list of some of the videos we will be watching, and asking questions on in class, and using as the basis for questions on the exam. BAPA 550 students please use the specific discussion forums inside Connect
Oliver Williamson: The Transaction Cost Progression (Nobel Prize winning lecture)
David Levine: Are Patents essential for Innovation and Prosperity? U of Waterloo public lecture
David Latour Why are there still so many jobs- history and future of workplace automation : U of Waterloo public lecture.
As you listen, have a pen and notebook in hand – take notes – perhaps along these lines – for class and forum discussion.
1) what are the key questions the speaker/author asks throughout the talk? Literally, I want to develop a comprehensive list of them , the specific questions being asked (you may have to infer the question form an “Answer”) . Keep in mind #4 below
2) What are the key concepts you’d like to know more about after listening to this talk – ie the sort of concepts you’d like to have the speaker explain or illustrate again to clear up your understanding or to avoid misunderstanding (for yourself try to identify two or three – but listen up to, and comment on, other students as they identify concepts too).
3) In the discussion what key theories or models does the author use, or appear to use? (this is a tough question really – because may speakers don’t explicitly state what theories or models they are using, and at this stage in your economics career you yourself may not have a very refined understanding of what possible theories and models there are)
4) What answers (in short form) are provided for the questions being asked? Do you have any unanswered questions? unquestioned answers? or un-asked questions? about this topics, something maybe you’d like to ask the speaker/author?
5) What is the overall or summary conclusion?